This Mother’s Day, honor moms without alienating others by acknowledging the wide continuum of mothering; help all women fell welcome, appreciated, seen and needed within the body of Christ. During your service, try these words:
- To those who gave birth this year to their first child – we celebrate you.
- To those who lost a child this year – we mourn with you.
- To those who are in the trenches with little ones every day – we appreciate you.
- To those who experienced loss through miscarriage, failed adoptions or running away – we mourn with you.
- To those who walk the hard path of infertility – we walk with you. Forgive us when we say foolish things. We don’t mean to make things harder.
- To those who are foster moms, mentor moms and spiritual moms – we need you.
- To those who have warm and close relationships with your children – we celebrate with you.
- To those who have disappointment, heartache and distance with your children – we sit with you.
- To those who lost their mothers this year – we grieve with you.
- To those who experienced abuse at the hands of your own mother – we acknowledge your experience.
- To those who lived through driving tests, medical tests and overall testing of motherhood – we are better for having you in our midst.
- To those who have aborted children – we remember them and you on this day.
- To those who are single and long to be married and mothering your own children – we mourn that life has not turned out the way you longed for it to be.
- To those who stepparent – we walk with you on these complex paths.
- To those who will have emptier nests in the upcoming years – we grieve and rejoice with you.
- To those who placed children for adoption – we commend you for your selflessness and remember how you hold that child in your heart.
- And to those who are pregnant with new life, both expected and surprising – we anticipate with you.
This Mother’s Day, we walk with you. Mothering is not for the faint of heart and we have real warriors in our midst. We remember you.
- Dawn Edwards