Do you remember when you were baptized?
I do! I was 7 years old and I remember watching a baptism and knowing that I wanted to be baptized, too. I wanted to share with everyone that I loved Jesus and I was His girl.
It was such a special day – my dad baptized me in front of our church and I felt so loved and surrounded by my church family, as they cheered me on in my decision to obey and take a deeper step in my relationship with Jesus!
If you have never been baptized before, you may be wondering, “Why should I be baptized?” Here’s some verses in the Bible that explain why:
- To follow Jesus' example. A Christian is a "follower of Jesus." "Jesus ... was baptized by John in the Jordan." (Mk. 1:9‑11)
- Jesus commanded it. He instructed His disciples to: “Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.” (Mt. 28:19)
- It is the pattern followed by New Testament believers. “Many others in Corinth also became believers and were baptized.” (Acts 18:8)
- An opportunity for an infilling of the Holy Spirit. “Each of you must turn from your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38)
The decision to obey and be baptized is such an exciting step! It’s saying to the world, “I belong to Jesus and I am choosing to follow Him with my whole life.” It is a step of obedience that countless Christians have made over thousands of years . As the Church, we have together proclaimed the same truth through baptism - our allegiance is to our Savior!
As the church family at The Sanctuary, we get a chance to celebrate baptism together! Just Add Water, our outdoor baptism service, is coming up on Sunday, August 30. There are several ways you can join in this gathering:
- Get baptized! If you have never taken that step of obedience, now is the time! You can pick up a baptism packet at the Welcome Center or in the Hospitality Room for more information.
- Even if you don’t personally know someone being baptized that night, come and celebrate what God is doing in the lives of others here at The Sanctuary! We want to rejoice in all that God is doing in our church family!
- Did we mention the Fry Fry Food truck will be there? (Can you say deep-fried Nutella sandwiches?) What’s better than celebrating what God is doing with yummy food and being together?
Our service will begin at 6:00pm next Sunday evening – note the time change! I’m so excited to celebrate baptism with OUR church family!
- Pastor Jen